Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Shadell's Story

I realize that you may be going back and forth on going to a gym to exercise or to even get started. "It has been so long. I am not fit anymore. It's going to be too hard. I dont have the support to make this a forever thing. I like to work out on my own." There are so many excuses. I know. I have been there. I am still working super hard on my body but it is no where near were I want it to be. It has taken me over 8 years to gain over 100 pounds. Granted, I did have had 3 pregancies. To my surprise raising kids, keeping the house clean, dinner made, running errands and doing the duties of a mother and wife got in the way. I got to be over 265 pounds. I was so sick and tired all the time. I have had over 30 surgeries in my life- 26 years. The doctors were so concerned that I was going to get worse they suggested that I get gastric-bipass. I opted out. I knew that if I was going to get better it was going to have to be up to me. I started working out every other day about 4 years ago for 3-5 months. I lost 65 pounds and kept it off. However, after another three surgical set backs I wasnt able to work out-- at least that was my excuse this time. I gained 35 pounds back. I hated looking at myself in the mirror. When it came to pictures I had to be behind the camera. We did a family picture late last year (2015). I was angry at what I saw. My kids and hubby were so handsome and then there was me. I wanted to throw the pictures out, crawl into a hole and cry. Instead, I woke up the next morning (late Jan. 2016) spoke to my doctor about what kinds of exercises (I was up for another surgery in March 2016) that I was allowed to do- he told me the exercises then said if he was going to do this life  saving surgery that I had to loose 35 pounds before the surgery. I cried! How was I supposed to loose 35 in less then a month?! After my melt down I made a plan. (Like most of my 'plans' I suck at following them through to the end.) This time is going to be different!!! I am going to prove to myself-- not everyone else-- that I can be the best me. I started eating less and working out daily! Yes, DAILY! Before I knew it I was down the 35 pounds the doctor asked me to loose. I went into surgery on March 1st. I truly believe that because I worked out and built up the muscle I was able to recover so much faster then expected. Even the doctor was in awe. I was up and walking with little to know help in the first couple of hours of being out of surgery. Before the surgery he told me I would have to stay in the hosptial for 7 days. I was out the 3rd day because I was up walking and showering myself. I was taking it slow/easy when doing my regular workouts for the first couple of weeks after the surgery--but I never stopped! I was amazed at how well I was feeling. (I have had this surgery done two times before-recover was never this fast. I was informed that the more you have this surgery the more painful and harder the recovery would be). I was doing my regular workouts at home until my sister Haley told me about the classes at Lifetime Fitness. She said that the teachers are so caring and willing to take the time to teach everyone - at their own fitness level - what they can do to still enjoy the class and get a work out at the same time. So I went to Zumba. I know I looked stupid compaired to all the other people that have been doing the class for years. Regardless of my feelings I stayed for the class. I was sweaty and hot but I felt great! Not everyone knows the moves either. Everyone is at their own level and has their own special twist on the moves. It was so nice to see the differences. With my sisters encouragement to apply for the open position at the gym- I jumped in with a great hesitation in my chest and got the job. At first I dropped from 7 days of my home workouts a week to 3 classes a week. I was so surprised that with my 7 days a week workouts I was not working the muscles I thought I was. The classes were kicking my butt! I still came to the classes though! The more I come the more I notice the strength, muscles toning, my lungs dont burn anymore, endurance, everything is improving! My goal for the rest of the year is to come to all the early morning classes (5:45 am) during the week. I AM GOING TO COMPLETE THIS GOAL! 5:45am may not be for you - I do it because my kids are asleep and my husband is home. Besides the point... I LOVE THE TEACHERS!! They are so kind and considerate. They make it so if I cant do a certain exercise they will give me ideas to modify it for me. I have more energy to be able to run and play with my children. Things are not so hard like they used to be just a few months ago. I love the motto --- GET FIT STAY FIT. This is not just the motto for the gym, it's my motto! I love working at Lifetime Fitness and getting to know the people that come in! ( Started working for LFI in April 2016)


Shadell  

No comments:

Post a Comment